The characteristics of a great surf hotel extend far beyond its ability to provide a comfortable place to rest your head after a day in the surf.
Surf hotels offer a blend of comfort, location, and surf-oriented amenities. From proximity to top surf spots and surf-specific services, to unique experiences and eco-conscious practices, they provide the ultimate haven for surfing enthusiasts.
To truly stand out, a surf hotel must align itself with the lifestyle and needs of surfers, which involves a specific set of key features that differentiate it from standard hotels.
Proximity to Surf Spots
The first and arguably the most critical characteristic of a great surf hotel is its proximity to surf spots.
Surfers typically prioritize access to great waves over other aspects when choosing where to stay. Having the surf at your doorstep means more time in the water and less time spent on travel.
Whether it’s a secluded spot away from the crowds or a bustling beach with a consistent break, a great surf hotel offers unparalleled access to prime surf locations.
Amenities Tailored to Surfers
A surf hotel’s amenities can significantly enhance the overall surfing holiday experience.
These amenities are typically tailored to cater to the unique needs and wants of surfers. Surfboard storage, wetsuit drying facilities, and wash down areas are just a few examples of the bespoke amenities offered by these establishments.
Comfortable, beach-themed decor can also make guests feel right at home, enhancing their post-surf relaxation time.
A hallmark of a top-notch surf hotel is the availability of extra services specifically geared towards enhancing the surfing experience.
This might include surf lessons for those just getting started or wanting to improve, surfboard and gear rentals for those who prefer to travel light, or even repair services for any unfortunate dings and damage that boards can suffer.
In addition, some hotels go the extra mile by providing guided tours to secret spots, professional photo or video services, or surf conditioning and fitness classes to help guests get the most out of their time in the water.
Incorporating all these features, all-inclusive resorts with surfing offer an exceptional experience for surfers.
These resorts understand that a surf holiday is more than just about the waves; it’s about the whole package.
This typically involves a range of other leisure and wellness activities, delicious food, and the convenience of having everything taken care of in one place.
A great surf hotel is one that combines proximity to top surf spots, bespoke amenities, and exceptional surf-related services.
By focusing on these areas, they create a haven that resonates with the surfer’s lifestyle, making for a memorable and fulfilling surf trip.
Surf Hotels Around the World
There’s nothing quite like combining the thrill of surfing with the allure of traveling to exotic locations.
A surf hotel offers the perfect blend of these two passions, providing access to some of the world’s best surf spots coupled with top-notch hospitality.
Let’s explore some of the best surf hotels around the globe, from the Americas to the Pacific Islands.
North America boasts some of the world’s most renowned surf spots, from the iconic swells of California to the legendary breaks of Hawaii. The surf hotels in this region cater to every taste and budget, combining luxury, culture, and the unadulterated joy of the waves.
Here are a few surf hotels that provide amazing wave riding experiences in North America.
- The Surfrider Hotel, Malibu, California: Offers modern accommodations with a retro surf vibe.
- The Surf Lodge, Montauk, New York: Sea-view rooms and a trendy atmosphere.
- Nomads Hotel, San Clemente, California: Themed after international surf locales, offers surf packages with guided sessions and rentals.
- Timber Cove, California’s Sonoma region: Coastal escape with a wild and windy surf experience.
- Turtle Bay Resort, Hawaii: Known for its surf culture and beach proximity.
Central America is a tropical paradise for surfers, with Costa Rica standing out as a hotspot.
Here, you’ll find some of the best surf hotels in places like Costa Rica. Where there is year-round warm waters meet consistent swells to create a surfer’s paradise. The country’s laid-back vibe and stunning natural beauty also provide the perfect setting for surf hotels.
Take a look at these highly-rated surf accommodations in Central America.
- The Gilded Iguana, Costa Rica: Tailored for surfers with surfboard rental and yoga facilities.
- Lucero Surf Vacations, Costa Rica: Unique for its elevated design and prime location.
- Nantipa, Costa Rica: Offers excellent food, amenities, and activities for non-surfers.
- Latitude 10, Costa Rica: Stylish retreat with direct beach access.
- Harmony Hotel, Nosara, Costa Rica: Provides easy access to Playa Guiones, a juice bar, healing center, and yoga pavilion.
From Brazil’s Cocoa Coast to Chile’s vibrant surf scene, South America offers a variety of unique surfing experiences. Each of these surf hotels caters to different skill levels and styles, ensuring an immersive experience for all.
Let’s dive into the world of South American surf accommodations.
- Txai Itacaré, Brazil: Offers the chance to surf on the Cocoa Coast.
- Hotel Alaia, Punta de Lobos, Chile: Provides ocean-view rooms and easy access to the country’s surf scene.
- Chicama Boutique Hotel, Peru: Offers relaxation and comfort with an infinity pool and stunning sunsets.
Europe might not be the first continent that comes to mind when considering surf destinations, but it shouldn’t be overlooked. With its dramatic coastlines and consistent swells, Europe provides excellent surf experiences.
Here are some surf hotels that embody the charm and thrill of European surf culture.
- Noah Surf House, Portugal: Boasts a nautical theme, sustainable practices, and proximity to Costa de Prata’s surf spots.
- Tiny Whale Surf Lodge, Portugal: A part of a curated selection of exceptional surf accommodations.
- Surfers Lodge Peniche, Peniche, Portugal: Offers surf safaris, stylish accommodations, and surf lessons limited to six people.
- The Scarlet, Cornwall, UK: Ideal for post-surf relaxation with private outdoor spaces and spa facilities.
- Hôtel PALMITO, France: Noted as a standout in Europe.
The Indian Ocean is home to some of the world’s most idyllic surf spots. With crystal clear waters, tropical climates, and world-class waves, it’s a dream come true for surfers.
Luxury meets adventure in these exceptional surf hotels nestled in the paradisiacal destinations of Maldives, Indonesia, and Sri Lanka.
- Six Senses Laamu, Maldives: Luxurious amenities, beautiful locations, and access to quality surf spots.
- Four Seasons Kuda Huraa, Maldives: Offers a learn-to-surf clinic, seaplane safaris, and a live-aboard surf adventure for experienced surfers.
- Nihi Sumba, Indonesia: A sought-after destination for experienced surfers, offering access to Occy’s Left, a restricted wave for a limited number of riders.
- Cape Weligama, Sri Lanka: Offers clifftop views, access to legendary waves, and a moon-shaped infinity pool for relaxation.
Renowned for its world-class surf breaks and beautiful landscapes, Hawaii is a premier surf destination in the Pacific Islands.
The surf hotels here provide an incredible blend of comfort, culture, and world-class surf, making it an unbeatable choice for wave enthusiasts.
Also check out these Samoa surf resorts.
- Turtle Bay Resort, Hawaii: Part of a travel collection of surf accommodations worldwide.
- The Surfjack Hotel & Swim Club, Hawaii: Offers great options in the Pacific Islands.
Australia, known for its surfing culture, offers some of the world’s most incredible surf spots. From the Gold Coast’s endless summer to Byron Bay’s iconic breaks, there’s a surf experience for everyone.
Here are some surf hotels in Australia where you can ride fantastic waves and relax in style.
- Halcyon House, Australia: Combines luxury accommodations with surf-inspired interior design.
- Blackbird, Byron Bay Hinterland, Australia: Nature-inspired retreats and access to popular surf breaks.
- Samphire Rottnest, Rottnest Island: One of the surf-friendly resorts with sea-view rooms and outdoor pools.
Luxury Surf Hotels
Luxury surf hotels take the surf travel experience to the next level.
They combine the excitement of world-class surf with luxurious accommodations and high-end amenities. These surf hotels provide a touch of elegance and refinement to your surf adventure, whether you’re in Africa, Asia, or the Pacific.
Let’s explore some of the top luxury surf hotels worldwide…
Luxury Surf Hotels in Morocco, Mozambique, and Seychelles
Africa has a lot to offer when it comes to surf.
Morocco is renowned for its excellent surfing conditions, particularly due to its extensive coastline on the North Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. The country’s beaches receive consistent swells and boast an array of beach breaks, point breaks, and reef breaks suitable for surfers of varying skill levels.
Some of the most popular surfing spots in Morocco include Taghazout, a small fishing village that has become a surfers’ paradise, known for world-class waves like Anchor Point, Killers, and Panorama. Essaouira and Safi are also well-known surf spots.
The best time to surf in Morocco is generally during the winter months, from September to April, when the North Atlantic swells are at their most powerful. However, the country’s diverse coastline offers opportunities for surfing all year round.
- Paradis Plage Surf Yoga & Spa Resort: Topped as the best luxury surf hotel in Morocco. It’s located 45 minutes from Agadir airport and 5 minutes from Taghazout.
- Fairmont Hotel in Taghazout: A new luxury hotel that adds to the excitement of Morocco’s rugged south. The region of Taghazout is known for its lunar-like beauty and ocean blue that’s more Caribbean than Atlantic.
- The Surf Hotel Morocco: This hotel offers a unique surf vacation with varied activities tailored to individual needs. It’s located in the best surfing region of Morocco.
- Amouage at Surf Maroc: Located on the oceanfront, Amouage is where surf and yoga meet a boutique hotel. It offers a curated holiday experience of surf, yoga, and good times.
- Taghazout Villa at Surf Maroc: A beach chic guesthouse with a laid-back social vibe. Its communal spaces and family-like atmosphere make it a home away from home for you to sleep, surf, and play.
Mozambique, located on the southeastern coast of Africa, offers numerous spots for surfing with warm tropical waters and uncrowded breaks. While it’s not as famous as other global surf spots, Mozambique is gaining recognition for its consistent swells and excellent wave quality.
Toque-Toque, Ponta do Ouro, and Tofinho Point are among the popular surfing destinations in Mozambique. Ponta do Ouro, located in the south, is known for its right-hand point break, while Tofinho Point, located near the town of Inhambane, offers powerful, hollow waves.
The best season to surf in Mozambique is during the winter months, from April to September. During this time, the country experiences consistent southeast swells and offshore winds, providing optimal conditions for surfing.
- White Pearl Resorts: Located on Mozambique’s southeast coast, the White Pearl Resorts is a slice of heaven directly on Ponta Mamoli – the resort’s own private beach. The luxury resort offers excellent waves for all levels of surfers, guaranteeing quiet lineups with no crowds. The resort prides itself on fulfilling every wish of its guests, serving delicious, authentic Mozambican food, and offering the ultimate mix of surf trip and luxury getaway. It is nestled in a sheltered bay on the beautiful Lagoon Coast and consists of 22 opulent stilted suites offering uninterrupted ocean views. The decor is inspired by the coastal landscapes, providing an atmosphere of total relaxation.
- Beyond Benguerra Island Lodge: This luxury surf hotel is located in the Bazaruto Archipelago, offering rustic luxury and charm with superb service from Beyond. The accommodation includes ten casinhas, two cabanas, and one exclusive 3-bedroom villa.
- Kisawa Sanctuary: The Kisawa Sanctuary, located on Benguerra Island, is a hidden luxury in the national park of the Bazaruto Archipelago. The 300-hectare sanctuary includes forest, beach, and sand dunes, boasting eleven residences with a magical design inspired by traditional Mozambican dwellings.
- Anantara Hotels & Resorts: Anantara offers a luxury surfing experience in their secluded Mozambique island hotels. Guests can wakeboard, water ski, or whale watch. The resorts allow guests to explore the natural beauty of Bazaruto Island or relax at tiny Medjumbe Island.
Although Seychelles has several surf breaks, they are not consistently reliable.
Good swells are relatively rare and unpredictable, with summer often being flat and a number of wind chops potentially interrupting a good surf session.
The Seychelles is more suited for mellow surfers looking to escape crowded realities at home and enjoy small, tropical waves in picturesque settings.
- Four Seasons Resort Seychelles: This resort offers luxury and exclusivity in the island paradise of the Seychelles. Each villa is exquisitely furnished and has its own private veranda. It offers a full surf service including guiding and coaching. Although Seychelles is not renowned for high-quality surf, there are plenty of mellow breaks to enjoy.
- Four Seasons Resort at Desroches Island: Situated some 1500km East of Africa in the Indian Ocean, this resort allows guests to surf empty tropical waves with jet-ski assist, and during the NW tradewinds, over a dozen quality breaks peel unridden on most days. It is located on the outer reaches of the Seychelles archipelago and is the only resort on the stunning 5-kilometre-long Desroches Island.
- Surf spots in Mahé and La Digue: Mahé, home to the smallest capital of Africa, Victoria, and La Digue are the two main islands in Seychelles where surfing can be enjoyed. The islands are famous for mellow, uncrowded, and clean waves with stunning surroundings.
Luxury Surf Hotels in Bali
Bali, Indonesia, has long been a hotspot for surfers of all levels, from beginners to professional athletes.
Its white-sand beaches and clear, warm waters make it a dream destination for surfers. The luxury surf hotels here offer an array of accommodations that combine opulence, comfort, and an easy reach to the best surf spots.
- Anantara Uluwatu Bali Resort: This luxury resort in Bali has a perfect location for surfers, perched on a cliff with stunning ocean views. It offers premium amenities and quick access to some of the best surf spots in Bali.
- Mondo Surf & Lifestyle Village: Located in the vibrant town of Canggu, this unique resort combines Hindu architecture with a touch of Mykonos-esque design. It’s known for offering luxury at an affordable price.
- Dreamsea Bali: Situated in Padang Padang, Bali, this luxury surf hotel stands on the Uluwatu cliffs, providing breathtaking views and easy access to the beach for surfers.
- Como Uma Canggu: This resort in Bali boasts modern and stylish accommodations, providing guests with luxurious experiences while enjoying the prime surf locations of Canggu.
Luxury Surf Hotels in The Maldives
The Maldives is known for its picturesque beaches, clear waters, and some of the best surf spots in the world.
It’s home to several luxury surf resorts that offer not only high-end accommodations and services but also incredible surf experiences.
- Ayada Maldives: This five-star resort offers luxury stilted villas with infinity plunge pools. It has access to excellent surf spots in the southern atolls of the Maldives, ideal for those looking for an opulent surfing holiday.
- Niyama Private Islands: Located in the Dhaalu Atoll, this resort features private islands and an exclusive left-hand reef break. It’s perfect for those seeking luxury combined with privacy and remarkable surf spots.
- Six Senses Laamu: Situated in the Laamu Atoll, Six Senses is known for its beautiful accommodations and access to South East Trade Swells and South-West groundswells, including the legendary Ying Yangs surf break.
- Four Seasons Kuda Huraa: This resort offers luxury accommodations, with access to the Sultans surf break, among other surfing spots. Tropicsurf operates here, which provides professional surfing lessons for guests of all skill levels.
Unique Surf Experiences
In surf hotels, diverse establishments cater to guests’ unique needs and preferences.
They go beyond basic amenities, offering exclusive and unforgettable experiences.
Explore eco-conscious hotels, those with unique surf programs, and access to top surf breaks.
Eco-Conscious Surf Hotels
Eco-conscious surf hotels are establishments that combine the thrill and culture of surfing with a commitment to sustainability and environmental stewardship.
These establishments offer unique experiences that blend the passion for surfing with eco-conscious features such as waste recycling, water conservation, and the use of sustainable materials.
Here are some of the eco-conscious surf hotels across the globe:
- Noah Surf House: This is located in Santa Cruz, Portugal, provides eco-friendly accommodations near the Atlantic Ocean, featuring rooms and bungalows designed with sustainable materials such as concrete, glass, cork, and wood.
- Malibu Popoyo: Located in Nicaragua is another surf hotel that emphasizes environmental consciousness. The hotel integrates California surf culture with Nicaraguan roots, featuring 12 guest suites and an eco-friendly approach to its operations.
- Uluwatu Surf Villas: These villas in Bali provides a jungle resort experience, offering hand-built villas overlooking the coast. The villa’s open-air restaurant and yoga studio contribute to a peaceful and nature-integrated environment.
- Lucero Surf Vacations: For those planning a trip to Costa Rica, Lucero Surf Vacations offers surf and yoga retreats, while Pacific Islands feature gems like Six Senses Fiji and Maqai Eco Surf Resort in Fiji, all of which prioritize eco-conscious practices.
- The Ulaman Eco Retreat: Located in Bali is another eco-friendly surf hotel known for its bamboo architecture and eco-conscious practices.
- Mukul: Located in Nicaragua, which not only focuses on environmental initiatives but also offers stargazing sessions, allowing guests to connect with nature in a unique way.
- Discovery Rottnest Island: Down under in Australia, this place provides low-impact glamping with eco-tents, incorporating a revegetation plan and a commitment to preserving the environment. This allows surfers to engage with nature both in the ocean and on land.
Surf Hotels Offering Unique Surf Programs
Several surf hotels around the world distinguish themselves by offering unique surf programs that cater to all levels of surfers, from beginners to seasoned professionals.
Here are a few notable establishments that offer exceptional surfing programs:
- Turtle Bay Resort, located in Oahu, Hawaii, provides surfing programs for every skill level. The resort offers surf lessons at their Hans Hedemann Surf Center, where seasoned surf instructors guide learners through the fundamentals of surfing, water safety, and wave dynamics. Additionally, guests can participate in Surf Camps that offer immersive week-long surf experiences.
- Mukul Resort in Nicaragua offers a distinctive surf program called the “TropicSurf” experience. Led by experienced guides, guests can surf the best breaks of Nicaragua’s Emerald Coast. The resort also offers private charters to secret spots for the ultimate surf adventure.
- Malibu Popoyo, also in Nicaragua, combines surf lessons with yoga, fitness training, and restorative wellness practices. The hotel’s experienced surf guides not only offer technical advice but also emphasize the cultural and spiritual aspects of surfing.
- Cerritos Surf Town, located in Baja California Sur, Mexico, offers a unique surf program that focuses on fostering a connection with nature. The surf lessons, taught by professional surfers, also include yoga sessions and wellness workshops for a holistic approach to surfing.
- The Nihi Sumba Resort in Indonesia is home to Occy’s Left, one of the world’s most coveted private waves. Nihi Sumba’s surf program includes access to this exclusive wave, limited to ten surfers per day to maintain a peaceful and uncrowded surfing environment.
- Hotel Komune in Bali not only offers surf programs for guests but also hosts several international surf competitions throughout the year. The hotel’s location provides an unobstructed view of the Keramas Beach, renowned for its world-class surf break.
Surf Hotels with Exclusive Access to Top Surf Breaks
If you’re a surfing enthusiast looking for your next adventure, choosing a hotel that provides exclusive access to top surf breaks can take your vacation to the next level.
Here’s a curated list of world-class surf hotels that are not only located in front of stellar waves, but also offer a range of amenities for the ultimate holiday experience.
- Lucero Surf Vacations, Central America: This destination is a treasure for surfers, recognized in several reputable travel guides. The surf hotel caters to both beginners and experienced surfers, providing access to some of Central America’s best surf breaks. In addition to surfing, visitors can also enjoy a holistic travel experience with top-notch cuisine and amenities.
- Nihi Sumba Island, Indonesia: Known as one of the world’s best surf destinations, Indonesia’s Nihi Sumba Island offers an unforgettable surfing experience. The five-star resort offers training courses for this challenging hobby, ensuring a safe yet exhilarating experience for guests.
- The Cape, a Thompson Hotel, Los Cabos, Mexico: Loved by advanced surfers, The Cape offers not only an excellent view of El Arco, the iconic limestone arch, but also a challenging left-hand break. The resort’s surf-conscious amenities also include the provision of custom-made surfboards for guests.
- Hotel Alaia, Punta de Lobos, Chile: This hotel is well situated in Chile’s surfing hotspot, Punta de Lobos. The property provides its guests with a comfortable stay while they explore the major surf breaks the area has to offer.
- Luxury Surf Hotels, Bali, Indonesia: Bali has a diverse range of surf hotels that cater to different budgets and surf styles, all offering access to the island’s best waves. Each property blends comfort and luxury, creating a unique surfing experience.
- Surf Resorts, Maldives: The Maldives offers luxurious surf resorts located near world-class waves. These resorts offer not just perfect waves but also top-tier amenities and living arrangements for a fantastic surfing holiday.
- Nomad Surfers Hotels, Various Locations: Nomad Surfers provides a list of surf hotels in the USA, Peru, Brazil, Sri Lanka, and Angola. Each hotel offers different ranges of budgets and has an excellent location in front of world-class waves.