Paddle boarding can be a great way to add a new challenge to your surfing routine, or for beginners who are looking to get into surfing.
Can you surf with a paddle board?
Short answer: Yes, surfers have been using paddle boards to catch waves for years now and the trend is growing.
With the right instruction, anyone can learn how to surf with a paddle board.
Also check out our guide explaining what is a fish surfboard?
Are paddle boards the same as surf boards?
Paddle boards, also known as stand up paddle boards or “SUP”, are actually quite different than surf boards.
Paddle boards are much larger and heavier than surf boards, and they are designed to be paddled with a longboard.
Surf boards, on the other hand, are much smaller and lighter, and they are designed to be ridden without a
Can you ride a wave on a paddle board?
Yes, you can definitely ride waves on a paddle board!
In fact the history of paddle board is just as epic as traditional surfing is.
SUP has a long history.
Records of the activity dating back to 3000 B.C. can be found in Peru, the Levant, Italy, and China.
Waikiki's modern standup paddle boarding began in the 1940s.
Paddle boarding has come a long way since then, and today there are many different types of paddle boards that are designed specifically for surfing.
In fact, many people believe that paddle boarding is actually a better way to catch waves than surfing.
Using a paddle makes it easier to pickup speed necessary to catch a wave, and you can also paddle out to waves that are further offshore.
Catching them earlier so you can have a longer ride.
What do you need to surf with a paddle board?
In order to surf with a paddle board, you will need a few things:
- A Stand Up Paddle Board: Obviously you will need a paddle board in order to start surfing. If you don't have one, you can either rent one from a local shop or purchase one online.
- A Paddle: You will also need a paddle in order to propel yourself through the water. Again, you can either rent or purchase one of these.
- A Leash: A leash is necessary in order to keep your paddle board attached to your body. This is for safety reasons, as you don't want to lose your paddle board in the waves.
How do you surf with a stand-up paddle board
Once you have all of the necessary equipment, it's time to learn how to surf with a paddle board!
Here are a few tips on how to get started:
- Start off by practicing in calmer waters: Until you get used to using a paddle board for surfing, it's best to practice in calmer waters. This will help you get comfortable with the motion and learn the basics of paddling correctly.
- Choose the right wave: Not all waves are created equal, and not all waves are suitable for surfing with a paddle board. When you're first starting out, it's best to choose a small wave that is breaking closer to shore.
- Paddle fast and hard: In order to catch a wave, you need to paddle fast and hard. This can be difficult at first, but with practice you will get the hang of it.
- Pop up quickly: Once you've caught a wave, it's important to change your foot position from a squared up stance to a more surfing stance. This will help you balance on the board and stay above the wave.
- Ride the wave: After you've caught a wave, it's time to start riding! Lean into the wave and use your paddle to help keep you balanced.
Common questions about can you surf with a paddle board
Is paddle boarding harder than surfing?
Paddle boarding is definitely a different challenge than surfing, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's harder.
In fact, many people believe that paddle boarding is actually easier than surfing because you can use the paddle to help you catch waves.
Which SUP is best for surfing?
When it comes to SUPs for surfing, there are a few things you need to consider:
- Wave Size: The size of the wave will determine the type of SUP you need. For smaller waves, a shorter and wider SUP is ideal. For larger waves, you will need a longer and thinner SUP.
- Board Weight: Heavier boards are better for bigger waves, while lighter boards are better for smaller waves.
- Maneuverability: A board that is easy to maneuver is ideal for surfing, as you will need to be able to make quick turns in order to catch the wave.
Can inflatable SUP be used in the ocean?
Yes, inflatable SUP can be used in the ocean.
However, it is important to note that they are not as durable as hard-shell SUP and may not be suitable for larger waves.
What size SUP should I get for surfing?
When choosing a SUP for surfing, it is important to consider the size of the wave you will be surfing. For smaller waves, a shorter and wider SUP is ideal.
For larger waves, you will need a longer and thinner SUP.
Keep in mind that heavier boards are better for bigger waves, while lighter boards are better for smaller waves.
Do you wear shoes when paddle boarding?
Most people paddle board without shoes, as it can be difficult to move around in the water with them on.
However, if you feel more comfortable wearing shoes while paddle boarding, there are a few things to keep in mind.
At most you can where neoprene booties or water shoes.
You will also want to make sure that your shoes have a good grip, as you will be moving around a lot on the paddle board.